
Noel Gallagher is not losing sleep over critics questioning his latest honor—and he is daring them to say it to his face.
The former Oasis guitarist is set to receive the Songwriter of the Year award at the 2026 BRIT Awards on February 28. The catch? Gallagher has openly admitted he has not written a new song in two years. That detail has fueled online grumbling from fans and industry watchers who believe the accolade should reflect recent output.
Gallagher, however, seems amused by the backlash.
“I haven’t written a song in two years,” he said candidly, adding that he is more than happy to accept the trophy anyway. He suggested the BRITs may have been keen to feature an Oasis member given the Manchester connection, even noting that his brother Liam has no plans to attend.
When pressed about whether the criticism bothers him, Gallagher pushed back hard. He argued that awards like this are rooted in record sales and pointed to the fact that Oasis moved around a million units last year. According to him, that kind of commercial weight speaks louder than fresh material.
He then upped the ante.
Gallagher boasted that he did not even have to leave his couch to outsell much of the competition and questioned whether any solo songwriter could top those numbers. He went further, challenging detractors to confront him in person at the ceremony. If anyone has a problem with the win, he said, they can meet him on the red carpet and settle it there.
He even took a swipe at songwriting teams, joking that if a group of writers want to piece together a hit and challenge him, he will be waiting.
BRIT Awards officials are standing by the decision. Stacey Tang, Chair of the 2026 BRIT Awards Committee, praised Gallagher’s catalog as the soundtrack of multiple generations and described him as a creative force whose work continues to resonate worldwide.
Whether fans see it as a deserved victory lap or an eyebrow-raising pick, one thing is clear. Noel Gallagher is not backing down—and he is ready for the noise.