
The disappearance of Nancy Guthrie has taken a chilling new turn and President Donald Trump is now publicly warning her suspected kidnappers that they could face the ultimate punishment if she is not returned safely.
Nancy Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of Today show co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, has been missing since February 1 from her home in Tucson, Arizona. Federal investigators believe her disappearance may be the result of a kidnapping after doorbell camera footage captured a masked, gloved individual tampering with the device outside her residence. Authorities later recovered a glove matching the one seen in the footage near the property.
The FBI is now treating the case as a suspected abduction. While officials have not confirmed a motive, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said the evidence strongly suggests foul play.
“This is someone who vanished without a trace,” Nanos told the Daily Mail. “Now we have camera evidence showing the person responsible. That’s why I’m calling this a kidnapping.”
Investigators have acknowledged receiving at least one financial demand but say it remains unclear whether the motive is ransom, revenge, or something else entirely.
As the search intensifies, President Trump has stepped in with a forceful message. In comments to the New York Post, he said those responsible would face “very, very severe, the most severe federal consequences” if Nancy is harmed.
When asked whether that could include the death penalty, Trump responded, “The most, yeah, that’s true.”
Earlier this month, Trump revealed on Truth Social that he personally spoke with Savannah Guthrie and pledged full federal support.
“I am directing ALL Federal Law Enforcement to be at the complete disposal of the family and Local Law Enforcement, IMMEDIATELY,” he wrote. “We are mobilizing all resources to bring her mother home safely. The prayers of our Nation are with her and her family. GOD BLESS AND PROTECT NANCY!”
Law enforcement officials remain hopeful that Nancy will be found alive as the investigation continues.